The President/General Manager reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible for coordinating, directing and managing all activities related The Woodlands Township including:
- Board of Directors coordination and communication
- Capital Projects
- Covenant Administration
- Economic Development Programs including The Woodlands Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Environmental Education
- Fire Protection
- Garbage and Recycling Collection
- General Administration and Professional Management
- Law Enforcement
- Legislative Initiatives
- Neighborhood Services
- Parks and Pathways Maintenance and Operations
- Parks and Recreational Programming (Swimming Pools and Aquatics Programming, Recreation Center Programs, Park Programs and Special Events)
- Street Lighting
- Streetscape Maintenance
Other responsibilities of the President include:
About Don T. Norrell
- Directing the development and administration of the annual operating budget
- Capital improvements budget
- Representing The Woodlands Township at local, state and federal levels
- Participation in community activities promoting quality of life within The Woodlands
- Leading The Woodlands Township's economic development initiatives
- Short-term and long-range planning
- Serves as Director on The Woodlands Convention & Visitors Bureau
Mr. Norrell is President/General Manager of The Woodlands Township, a master-planned community of approximately 100,000 residents and 2,000 businesses located 30 miles north of downtown Houston, Texas.
Mr. Norrell oversees all departments within The Woodlands Township Administration, Community Relations, Covenant Administration, Economic Development, Environmental Services, Finance, Fire Department, Human Resources, Neighborhood Services, Parks and Recreation, and Public Safety – Law Enforcement. Responsibilities include the operating and capital improvements budgets as well as the implementation of strategic plans, goals, and objectives to meet the public service needs of residents and businesses in The Woodlands Township.
Mr. Norrell has been responsible for coordinating, directing and managing all activities related to the consolidation of services of the former Community Associations of The Woodlands with The Woodlands Township. This historic Transition was made possible after The Woodlands reached Regional Participation Agreements with the cities of Houston and Conroe in 2007 allowing The Woodlands to determine its own future governance. Mr. Norrell led the Transition between The Woodlands Township and the Community Associations of The Woodlands which took effect on January 1, 2010.
Mr. Norrell has more than 30 years of public service and administration in city management and finance for the cities of Irving, Texas, and Eau Claire, Wisconsin, where he was City Manager for 14 years. Prior to his position as President of The Woodlands Township, Mr. Norrell served as President of The Woodlands Community Service Corporation for three years where he was responsible for day-to-day operations of The Woodlands Community Association (WCA), The Woodlands Association (TWA) and The Woodlands Commercial Owners Association (WCOA).
He is a native Texan, a Certified Public Accountant and holds a Bachelor of Business Administration degree from East Texas State University. He and his wife Vicki live in Village of Grogan’s Mill in The Woodlands and have three grown children.