- Watch children and keep them a safe distance from the fire.
- Do not throw anything into the fire, even wood.
- Do not remove hot or burning materials from the fire.
- Watch wind direction; keep sparks off flammable materials.
- Remember that fires of any kind, except in barbecue grills, are prohibited in The Woodlands parks.
- Follow the instructions for setting up your tent. It's designed to be water repellent only when set up properly.
- Use a ground cloth under the tent to keep the tent floor dry. The cloth shouldn't extend beyond the tent.
- Set up your tent on a gentle slope to prevent the rainwater from accumulating in camp.
- Always keep the tent secured (at least the insect screen) to prevent animals from getting inside.
- Sleep with a window vent partially open to prevent condensation from forming on the inside of the tent.
- If cold weather is expected, sleep with the next day's clothes in your sleeping bag to keep them warm for the next morning.
- Wearing too many clothes when sleeping causes you to sweat, which will make you colder.
- When going anywhere, always take someone with you for safety.
- Know the weather forecast for the area so you'll be prepared for conditions that may occur.