Walk to School
| WHY WALK?
|Reduces traffic congestion, pollution and speeding around schools and neighborhoods
|Increases use of pathways, boosts physical activity
|Teaches safe walking skills to children
|Increases neighbor-to-neighbor interactions
|Features eco-values—conservation and clean air
We live too far to walk:
- Drive to church or shopping center parking lot near your school, park and walk from there.
My school does not have formal activities, or if you want to keep walking every day:
Consider organizing a Walking School Bus
I don’t have school age kids:
- Drive carefully and be on the lookout for pedestrians and bikers
- Cheer on the walkers in your neighborhood and along their route
- Join in the walk with your neighbors
When you must drive…
Remember to reduce idling!
- wastes gas
- damages pollution control equipment on your vehicle
- produces carbon monoxide—an invisible, odorless, poisonous gas
Turning off the car and starting it again uses less gas and produces less carbon monoxide than idling for 30 seconds or more. www.drivecleanacrosstexas.org.