May 19, 2023
2505 Lake Woodlands Dr.
The Woodlands, TX 77381
Bike to Work Day
Friday, May 19, 2023
National Bike Month is celebrated across North America in May. For the 11th consecutive year, The Woodlands will be also be celebrating this growing tradition with a myriad of fun events throughout the month, for cyclists of all ages and abilities.
The Woodlands Township will be recognizing National Bike Month in May, and has planned more than 15 individual activities and events throughout the month.
Do you work and live in The Woodlands or nearby communities? Perhaps you have considered riding your bike to work occasionally. Or even better, you may be one of our growing community of bike commuters in The Woodlands. This event is designed to encourage regular car commuters to try out their bikes as an option for commuting to and from work. Refreshments and information about bike commuting will be provided at Northshore Park. Veteran bike commuters will be in attendance to answer your questions about required gear, how to deal with weather, best routes, traffic concerns, etc. Working from home? Take this opportunity to get a quick bike ride in before starting your work day!
Stop by between 6:30 and 9 a.m. on Friday, May 19, 2023 and be a part of the North America National Bike to Work Day!
GET INVOLVED! This year, we are encouraging local businesses to promote new ways to get involved.
• Host an Official Energizing Station
– Biking is hungry work! Help encourage folks to use active transportation on Bike to Work Day by offering free or discounted items from your business to people who bike to work on Friday, May 19. This might be a discount on a cup of coffee, a free pastry, a free cold drink, or something else that would be a welcome snack for a hungry bike commuter. If you plan to participate, fill out the form here.
The Woodlands Township and Bike The Woodlands Coalition will promote your business and its Bike To Work Day promotion on social media and in other Bike Month publications during the month of May.
• Encourage Employees to Bike to Work!
- Promote Bike to Work Day! Promote Bike to Work Day via email, Slack, or Teams messages. Let employees know they're part of a national effort to promote active transportation.
- Help employees get prepared: Join the Bike The Woodlands Commuter Workshop (Bike Commuting 101) on Zoom, presented by Bike The Woodlands Coalition on Monday, May 8 (see previous page).
- Prepare your space: Do you have safe bike parking? Do you have a space for people to change clothes? Will you encourage a bike convoy or bike meetup? Will you snap a photo?
- Offer incentives: Consider how you might motivate employees to participate. Will you offer a giveaway to participating employees? Will there be free coffee or snacks?
- Register your company’s Bike to Work group!
If you plan to form a bike convoy or Bike to Work group, upload your company’s information to the online form here no later than 2 p.m. on Friday, May 19!
Please include at least one (1) photo of your Bike to Work group. The Township will provide an award in the categories of Most Spirited (decorated bikes, costumes, etc) and Best Participation (greatest number of employees in the group, verified by the photo(s) submitted via the online form). Awards will be distributed to the winning Bike to Work groups on Saturday, May 20 at Bike The Woodlands Day!
Don’t forget to tag Bike The Woodlands Coalition (@BikeTheWoodlands) and The Woodlands Township (@TheWoodlandsTownship) in your Bike to Work Day photos on social media!
Bicycle-Friendly Business Resources (The League of American Bicyclists):
View the 2023 Bike Month Event Guide
View the 2023 Bike Month Event Calendar
Register Online for Bike Month Events