Houston, January 28, 2021 – The Woodlands Township and the Energy Corridor District have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to establish a pilot commuter bus service. This innovative pilot program will provide dedicated bus service for the District’s employees and The Woodlands’ residents to and from each locale. The MOU represents a shared interest by both organizations towards operating the service in late 2021. During the coming months, the District and The Woodlands will continue their collaboration to identify the route, stops, schedules, and fares, while considering public health conditions.
The MOU is a continuation of more than a year’s worth of discussions between The Woodlands, the Energy Corridor District, and the Houston-Galveston Area Council (H-GAC). In 2018, The Woodlands received a Congestion Management and Air Quality (CMAQ) grant from H-GAC to provide 80% of the funds necessary for operating the pilot. The Woodlands and the Energy Corridor District are entering into a local share funding partnership for the remaining 20% of the costs.
“The Park and Ride System has been very successful over the years for our residents who work downtown and in the Medical Center,” said The Woodlands Township Chairman Gordy Bunch. “As many residents work in the Energy Corridor, this allows additional opportunities for our residents. We look forward to seeing how this service can progress for our residents.”
More than 1,000 people a day commuted between their home in The Woodlands and their job in the Energy Corridor, prior to the COVID-19 pandemic. A reliable transit service will improve the commute for each person while also reducing the number of vehicles on the region’s busy roads. The Woodlands Township and the Energy Corridor District are monitoring the pace at which employees are returning to their offices. A set of criteria, such as the percent of employees turning to their office, will be used to determine a date for implementation of this service.
“The Energy Corridor District is excited about the opportunity to partner with The Woodlands and the Houston-Galveston Area Council on this pilot service. As a regional employment center, commuter service such as this one, can improve access and employees’ commute experience to the District,” said the Energy Corridor District’s Executive Director, Elijah J. Williams. “This agreement between The Woodlands and the District helps to formalize the already high level of cooperation between The Woodlands and the Energy Corridor District in implementing the pilot program.”
About The Woodlands Township The Woodlands Township is the governmental service provider for residents and businesses in The Woodlands, Texas, providing enhanced law enforcement services, fire protection, environmental services, parks and recreation, economic development and more.The Township staff and publicly elected Board of Directors are committed to public safety and exceptional levels of customer service. Together, they responsibly fulfill the governance needs of the community while promoting the economic development of The Woodlands and providing services that enhance property values.
To learn more about The Woodlands Township, please visit https://www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov/.
About the Energy Corridor District The Energy Corridor District (District) is an advocate for one of Houston’s premier business centers and destinations. Established in 2001 by the Texas Legislature as Harris County Improvement District #4, the District was created to promote, develop, encourage, maintain employment, commerce, transportation, housing, recreation, arts, entertainment, economic development, safety, and the public welfare within its boundaries.
To learn more about The Energy Corridor District, visit https://www.energycorridor.org/about/.